3.15.2011

brilliant ad campaign about soda

These anti-soda commercials are running in the New York City market and I think they're fantastic. I wonder if any other cities have taken a similar approach to educating their citizens about how much sugar is hidden in the things we eat and drink. To the best of my knowledge, Boston has not. Sugar in soda seems pretty obvious to most people, but what about other products we consume every day, such as "lite" salad dressings, canned tomatoes, even one of the world's most naturally healthy foods: oatmeal?!


NYC was the first city to ban the use of trans fats in its restaurants, but as far as I know, few other cities have followed suit. Note: California gets a thumbs up for totally banning it in the state's restaurants and bakeries. Legislation like this puts a spotlight on these damaging ingredients, which means a hit in sales for their suppliers as well as CPGs who use them in their products. It's a bit scary to think about the government and these large food and agriculture companies being in cahoots, but the sad truth is that they are.

Speaking of unhealthy ingredients, don't even get me started on the High Fructose Corn Syrup ad campaign that we've all seen! I won't even give them the respect of posting a link to one of their ads. Talk about taking steps (more like marathons) in the wrong direction. Convincing kids that it's okay to drink fluorescent-colored bug juice "in moderation" is deceptive and unethical.

And now I shall step down from my soap box....

.... and confess that I've had three cups of coffee and only about two cups of water today. So much for my clean eating commitment.

No comments: