8.05.2011

eating in the garage again

Lately it's where I go when I want to unabashedly shovel food into my mouth without judgment. It's also where Abi's no-bake vegan chocolate cookies are being stored in the spare fridge. I made them the other morning before work and haven't been able to stop eating them. They came together so easily and are amazingly rich and satisfying. It was the first time I ever used coconut oil (minus a hair treatment I did with a friend the other night - also awesome!) and the flavor it lends to the cookies is so subtle and tastes so good with the chocolate. Maybe like a Mounds bar or something... without the guilt.


Cracky Samoas (copyright: Kerry Carven)
Modified from Vanilla & Lace

Makes about 20

1/2 cup pure agave (I used light)
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used fresh ground from Whole Foods)
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (I used gluten-free)
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt (plus a little more)

In a medium sauce pan, mix agave nectar and baking cocoa. Add almond milk and coconut oil. Stir over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter, vanilla, salt and oats. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with wax paper. Stick the pan into the refrigerator until the mounds are set.

Awwww yeah, it's Friday. Have a great weekend!

No comments: