5.15.2009

my latest un-guilty pleasure (almost)

I've discovered something magical. I don't know how I didn't see it sooner. A sweet snack nearly free of the remorseful hangover. I've been on a smoothie kick of late and keep a variety of frozen fruits in the freezer. I also have 3 pints of premium ice cream purchased from 7-Eleven by my friend Kerry at around 1:45 a.m. last weekend when we had a 2-woman dance party. The ice cream stares at me every time I open the freezer door to grab my frozen blueberries and bananas, and I know it's only a matter of time and too much alcohol until I'm polishing off one of these puppies in the wee hours of the morning while lying in bed listening to The Lemonheads.


Tonight I got back from the gym, and having decided to stay in started thinking about the least damaging way to satisfy my craving for something sweet.

One scoop of vanilla surely can't hurt. This time when I opened the freezer in search of ice cream, I saw the blueberries.

Aha...

I zapped a handful of these sweet, miniature Maine berries in a small bowl for 30 seconds and then topped them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.




Like the final bites of a sloppy slice of blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream, it was so rich and silky, I really only needed a little ice cream to hit the spot. It would also work great with raspberries or strawberries. You may have to add a small splash of water to loosen things up and create a bit of a syrup. The only way I could have improved this creation would have been to top it with a few slivered almonds. And the color produced when the ice cream and blueberries meet is one of the most beautiful violets I've ever seen!


I'm not much of a calorie-counter, but I figure this set me back about 220 calories. Plus, I got a little Vitamin C and antioxidants. I thought of doing the same thing with 2% Greek yogurt such as Fage which would bring the total to about 160 calories for a generous 7oz, or 8oz. serving. Not bad when you consider the flavor and nutritional benefits.

Enjoy!

No comments: